June 3, 2012

Southern California Success!

BY Frank G. Dwyer
June 3, 2012

On a cloudy outgoing tide, I was able to land 5 Yellow Fin Croaker's and double that in Barred Surf Perch. I was surf casting with a 6 foot rod, equipped with 6-pound test.
All fish fell for artificial's rigged on a 1/2 oz. modified Carolina rig.

I've been here 18 months or so and this was one of the best days off Newport Beach I've had. It took me a while to get used to a fishery that is not anything like the striped bass fishery I am used to. I'll be out there looking for more of these and several other semi-common species available here in Southern California.

While the fish may be smaller than those surf casting elsewhere, they can be a real blast on light tackle, and hey, I can walk to catch them!

No comments: