August 30, 2008

Way too Early

Frank G. Dwyer
August 31, 2008

John "Jay" Bonfatti was a big man with a bigger heart. Jay died in North Falmouth, MA this past Thursday while at his parents house preparing for the annual Bonfatti Labor Day festivities. He passed away peacefully in his sleep, apparently of a heart attack at the age of 52.

My small tribute to him here is but one of thousands you can find on the web. I was lucky to know Jay through my good friend, and his brother, Andrew.

Jay was an accomplished Journalist with the Buffalo News and before that the Associated Press and a well known figure in Buffalo and beyond. Jay always had a smile on his face and could make anyone feel welcome. Andrew and I took many a road trip to Buffalo to crash on Jay's floor and watch our beloved Patriots play the Bills.

Years ago when I got my first paid gig writing a fishing column for the Daily News in Newburyport, Jay was one of the first to reach out with congratulations.

I'll miss the two or three times a year I would get to see Jay.

No comments: